Re: firefox and maxfiles and rlimit.descriptors

tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost writes:

>I have increased kern.maxfiles (the default of 956 being too low).

>But how to increase proc.curproc.rlimit.descriptors.{hard,soft}?
>Whatever I give to soft, sysctl refuses with "invalid argument".

You set limits with 'ulimit' (or limit in csh) and programs started
by the shell will inherit the limits.

>BTW, sysctl(7) still mentions proc.pid but this doesn't exist.
>Apparently it is proc.curproc now.

Maybe proc.$pid makes it easier to understand. The second label
is the numeric PID of the process you want to look at or "curproc"
for the process doing the query (usually the sysctl command itself).

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost