qemu: How to detach / reattach to console in -nographic mode?

I am looking for something like tmux/screen to attach and detach from qemu
guest's console (not qemu's console) when qemu is started in -nographic
mode.

Well I can use tmux/screen itself to keep one dedicated terminal, but
that's the last resort.

I tried adding a telnet monitor, but it gives me qemu console, not the
guest OS console. (Can I switch to OS console from qemu console?)

Also quitting from qemu console kills the guest. Is there way to just
detach leaving the guest running?

Also the CLI options given here [1] for graphics support do not work for
me when running an armv7 guest. vnc session comes up but hangs during the
boot. Instead of these options, if I just add a telnet monitor vnc session
works fine. Don't know the relation between the two, it looks strange to
me.

[1] http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/qemu_arm/

--
Mayuresh