Re: Pb with added disk (pciide) becoming wd0

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 at 13:42, <tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have some IDE disks that I'd like to read in order to know what is
> left on them before deciding what to do with them.
>
> I bought a PCI-E IDE adapter to be able to connect them, since my AMD64
> is SATA.
>
> The problem is that the pciide connected disks appear first hence, after
> successful boot by the bios with loading of the correct kernel from the
> correct disk, the supplementary disk becomes wd0 and conflicts with my
> fstab.
>
> My two "permanent" disks are still disklabel'ed (no GPT).
>
> Is there a way to give identifiers to the "permanent" disks, in fstab,
> so that whatever I add, the system can identify unambiguously the disks
> in fstab?
>
> Or do I have to resort to recompiling the kernel with explicitely
> setting the devices in the conf?

For disklabel, ROOT is your friend (see fstab(5)).

    If the first field starts with the prefix “ROOT.” the prefix is replaced
    with “/dev/[root_device]”, where [root_device] is the value of the
    “kern.root_device” sysctl.

So update fstab to start ROOTa instead of /dev/wd0a (similarly for any
other filesystems on that same disk).

David