Re: Mailing-list misconfiguration?

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> Not sure if this is a misconfiguration, but it's definitely not
> working well. In comparison, my "From" header to the FreeBSD mailing
> lists are rewritten in the form of:
>
> From: Ottavio Caruso via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions%freebsd.org@localhost>
>
> I'm sure this would make everything easier to all of us who have to
> rely on free and popular email services and/or 3rd party services like
> Gmane.

It might, but it makes it bad for everybody else.

When I use the "reply" action in my MUA, I expect, and standards
require, to compose a message to the sender.   That is very different
from sending a message to a mailinglist.   It is a critical correctness
property that "reply" not go to a list.

The NetBSD lists do not munge the message.  So the message I am replying
to arrived at my MTA with a valid DKIM signature from yahoo.  The usual
problem is that the message is modified by the mailinglist software,
either adding a footer or changing the subject, and DKIM (correctly!)
detects this as not being a messages that was sent by the original
domain.

The envelope sender, in "Return-Path:" is a NetBSD address, and my MTA
also reports a valid SPF check.  SPF is supposed to check SMTP "MAIL
FROM"  (~= "Return-Path:").