Re: HVM virtualization?

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 06:36:45PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:

>> > plain HVM, with emulated devices, works without problems (and always has).
>> > If they only support PV devices, then it works only in HEAD (GENERIC supports
>> > it)
>>
>> I have heard that the issue with with qemu "stub domains" and with
>> those, NetBSD ends up with PIO on disks and is thus unusably slow.
>>
>> https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/QEMU_vs_qemu-traditionnal_Feature_Comparison
>
> So running a HEAD GENERIC, which has the PV drivers, would solve this.

It would work around it, not solve it, but yes getting to a functional
state is really the goal.

I realize that's a good workaround, but I also wonder if anyone else has
tried 9-stable GENERIC as HVM with a dom0 that is using stub domains for
qemu.

(It seems obvious that NetBSD dom0s do not use stub domains.)