Re: ctwm craches in NetBSD 9.1 if move cursor from up to down to apps pictogram on intel driver

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 08:22:54AM +0100, Sad Clouds wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 06:01:36 +0500
> Dmitrii Postolov <dpostolov%yandex.ru@localhost> wrote:
>
> > In NetBSD 9.1 and ctwm: if move mouse cursor to Applications and move
> > it from left to right to pictogram then all OK, but if move cursor
> > from up to down to Applications pictogram, then ctwm craches.
>
> Also, a very long time ago I tried ctwm on NetBSD sparc64 and it was
> dying due to misaligned memory access, or similar. Not sure if this has
> been fixed over the years, I haven't yet tried NetBSD-9.1

This is almost certainly a bug in xf86-video-intel rather than ctwm.

Since xf86-video-intel is terrible magic and mostly unmaintained upstream
I don't know if there's much we can do until the drm3 update in NetBSD 10

Ideas: use the wsfb driver if it satisfies you, use a compositor like
xcompmgr to perform double buffering and elminate the rendering issues
you saw when tweaking the options to avoid crashes... what gen of intel
hardware is this?