Re: GlusterFS

Dima Veselov <kab00m%lich.phys.spbu.ru@localhost> writes:

> Just wanted to drop a message about filesystems/glusterfs
> which is now working for me.
>
> Maybe it would be useful to know that gluster client is
> very dependent on glusterfs version on servers (bricks).
> Recent pkgsrc version (8.0) seem not to work with glusterfs
> bricks < 8.0. I've tried 3.15, 5 and 7 (on Linux).
> Not tried NetBSD as bricks though.
>
> Also I was not able to get NetBSD client 3.12 working with
> any version on Linux bricks.

Thanks for the report.  glusterfs is on my eventual TODO list so this is
interesting.

I am curious if this version-matching requirement (equivalently,
"upstream does not have a stable wire protocol and has protocol breaks")
is known and documented upstream?  As an example unison is like this.
This seems like a property of glusterfs, not about NetBSD and not about
pkgsrc.

However, I realize that doing things on NetBSD is often harder and I
think it's great that you are helping others have less trouble -- I
don't mean to imply this shouldn't have been posted.