Re: Postfix and local mail delivery - still relevant in 2020?

On Sat, Jun 06, 2020 at 04:54:04PM +0100, Sad Clouds wrote:
> I've been wondering - why have Postfix in the base system and why have
> it enabled by default?

Many people think that "sending mail", vis a sendmail-like interface,
is a feature that a unix like system should support out of the box.

Postfix (as installed by default) is one of the options that usually
gets that working without any user/local configurations - at least in
some parts of the world. I have heared that some (IMHO broken) ISPs
nowadays block port 25 on their customer networks, breaking this
property.

There have been lengthy discussions to replace postfix in base with
something like pkgsrc/mail/mini_sendmail but that requires (a tiny bit
of) local configuration (that is: configuring the upstream mail
server).

This is similar to how we do not need bind in base, unbound as a
caching name server should be enough (and that move has not been
completed either yet).

Martin