Re: NetBSD install experiences

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 12:00:12PM +0200, Torbjörn Granlund wrote:
> But 9.0 is completely wild.  One gets crazy values if one selects
> Megabytes as input measurement, and not the same for amd64 and i386!  I
> asked for NetBSD partition start of 1MB and got something greater than
> both MB and Mibytes, with alignment of just 2^9.

If you have logs or concrete steps to reproduce this issue, please file
individual PRs for each issue, so we can properly track it.

1 MB in the installer of course is 1 * 1024 * 1024 byte.

Apparently you hit some bugs, but from your wavy description it is impossible
to reproduce those. The behaviour depends on various things, starting with
disk size and geometry, port specific defaults (though i386 and amd64 do
not differ in that regard).

If you give a walk-through (with displayed values + your input) plus maybe
dmesg excerpts showing the relevant disks it should be easy to reproduce
and debug this.

I'll hapilly fix everything I can localy reproduce ASAP (but no pullups for
the installer in netbsd-8 or older, it is vastly different internally).

Martin