Re: DNSSEC vs netbsd-8/sparc?

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 2:26 PM Havard Eidnes <he%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> > I must admit I'm scratching my head about this one.
>
> No more!  And I stil have hair!
>
> Looking at the diff between ISC's lib/isc/sha2.c and ours reveals
> that our source has code to overcome alignment issues, but in the
> conversion one statement has been omitted...

The alignment is important on some arches, like mips and sparc. Sparc
has an optimized move for 64-bits (ldx instruction) but the data must
be naturally aligned to the word. SHA-384 and SHA-512 use 64-bit
words, so the problem will surface under them (and not SHA-1 and
SHA-256, which use 32-bit words).

If the alignment is off then you'll get SIGBUS crashes like
https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/issues/691.

Jeff