Re: Linux compat and swap

At Fri, 24 Apr 2020 14:56:37 +0200, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
Subject: Re: Linux compat and swap

> Does somebody know what are the main source files implementing it so
> that if no in depth documentation is available, the C files would give
> the picture?

again, from my sysctl.conf:  :-)

# See also:
#
# http://web.archive.org/web/20181008110324/http://www.selonen.org/arto/netbsd/vm_tune.html
# http://chuck.cranor.org/p/diss.pdf
# http://usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix99/full_papers/cranor/cranor.pdf

BTW, I've used the settings I posted basically since UVM was integrated
on all my servers, and even on some small machines like a little Soekris
board with 512MB of RAM.

In hindsight I think the vm.exec* values are a bit too high for most
uses, but at the same time they don't seem to hurt for the kinds of uses
I put my machines to.  I admit though I haven't extremely stressed any
smaller machines (virtual or otherwise) to see how they do.  The domU I
edit/email/build on has 8GB assigned, and though it runs with a fair
number of pages out on swap, it never thrashes even with "-j 12" builds.
(and that's with a fully static-linked userland too)

I would say generally speaking that UVM does better than any other VM
management system I've used, including even macOS with its compressed
memory feature; though at some level macOS is hard to judge because of
its massive overreliance on dynamic linking and zillions of frameworks.
macOS only really starts to shine on 2+ CPU machines with SSD system
storage.

Indeed I suspect adding compressed memory support to UVM, i.e. as an
intermediate step before paging to disk, could make it the very best of
the best (for multi-core SMP systems, at least, though even a single CPU
can probably swap compressed pages faster than it can write and read
them from spinning rust).

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>