Mwm and coloring cascading submenus

In my root-window I have a (root?) menu with cascading submenus.
I figured out how to use .Xresources to define several fg/bg menu-color
pairs. THAT APPLIES TO ALL MENUS.

What if I want the top menu to have the color pair fg1/bg1;
the GAME sub-menu to have color pair fg2/bg2;
the APPLICATIONS sub-menu to have color pair fg3/bg3 ?

Now when I go to a submenu, I get a menu that has different
colors.

I would like a sample that I can copy and adapt to my liking.
This is actually a first for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.