Using pkgsrc; execution speed

I finally got the pkg tools system to work.

When I compiled bootstrap, it took 4hrs -- so I killed it and restarted it when I went to
bed. The following morning, bootstrap was still compiling. Each step/instruction takes about
15 seconds.

I downloaded lesstif.tar.gz from sourceforge. /bin/ksh .configure was half done in about 30s.
It did not complete because a required lib was not found.

Why am I seeing such a discrepancy in execution speeds?