Re: Shared object "libintl.so.9" not found (but its there)

At Wed, 11 Mar 2020 20:34:11 -0400, Jeffrey Walton <noloader%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: Shared object "libintl.so.9" not found (but its there)

> I don't follow. Please forgive my ignorance.
>
> I'm building using my build scripts from
> https://github.com/noloader/Build-Scripts . They feature test, set
> package options, configure, make and make install. Everything someone
> would do manually. Nothing fancy.
>
> This does not make sense, either:
>
> $ ldd /usr/pkg/bin/git
> /usr/pkg/bin/git:
>     -lpcre2-8.0 => /usr/pkg/lib/libpcre2-8.so.0
>     -lpthread.1 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.1
>     -lc.12 => /usr/lib/libc.so.12
>     -lz.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1
>     -lintl.1 => /usr/lib/libintl.so.1

"git" is not "git-submodule".  They are likely separate binaries, where
"git submodule" invokes "git-submodule".

> I can't seem to get more information though:
>
> $ LD_DEBUG=files git submodule --init
> Shared object "libintl.so.9" not found
> Shared object "libintl.so.9" not found
> Shared object "libintl.so.9" not found
> Shared object "libintl.so.9" not found

I'm going to guess that "git-submodule" was compiled to use the
"libintl.so.9" version that you have/had installed in /usr/local/lib,
but the build didn't bake in the runtime path for that library, so the
runtime linker can't find it (it doesn't look in /usr/local/lib by
default).

You could probably work around this by configuring /etc/ld.so.conf, or
even by setting LD_RUN_PATH in the environment, but the best fix is to
make sure the linker gets the required "-rpath=" options when building
the "git-submodule" binary.

Or just static link everything.  That's what I do.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>