tcsh and accented characters (strange problem)

Hi All,
      I like to use tcsh and most of my personal setup relies on it.
When I use my setup on Netbsd with the tcsh, I face up with a strange
problem.

If I use the package "tcsh" precompiled and installed
with the pkgin command, the accented characters (like é) can be used but
if the shell is compiled statically (either from the pkgsrc package "static-tcsh"
or by compiling directly from the source) none accented character (or more precisely
any non ASCII characters) can be used.

My setup of tcsh works perfectly on other system, particularly on Linux (but with pkgsrc static-tcsh
6.21 instead of 6.22 on my Netbsd system).

Any Ideas?

Best regards,