Re: Linux-Netbsd huge difference of speed, same hardware

Others have said some of this:

  random devices are not apples to apples as they may have different
  behavior

  test urandom separately by dd from urandom to /dev/null

  test by reading and sending to /dev/null, bs=1m  (not what you want to
  make fast, but interesting data point)

It is possible that something in NetBSD should be improved.  People here
are not trying to claim that's not the case - just to make progress
understanding.

Also, on my apu2, using an internal mSATA SSD (exactly the same as
yours), reading 1 GB from it and discarding it under NetBSD 8 amd64 (not
what you are doing) gets me:

  $ dd if=/dev/rwd0d of=/dev/null bs=1m count=1024
  1024+0 records in
  1024+0 records out
  1073741824 bytes transferred in 3.359 secs (319661156 bytes/sec)

which looks good.

(I have not tried to use an SD card on mine.)