Re: NetBSD ZFS compatibility with other OSs

Rocky Hotas <rockyhotas%firemail.cc@localhost> writes:

> Hi all!
> ZFS is one of the major updates in NetBSD 9.0. As far as I understood,
> it is an implementation of OpenZFS, as Linux and FreeBSD already have
> done. Also MacOS should use ZFS.
>
> Is a ZFS filesystem created inside NetBSD 9.0 compatible with these OSs?
> At least NetBSD, FreeBSD and Linux used code from the OpenZFS project.
>
> In a simple example, assume that I created a pool with NetBSD 9.0. Am I
> able to export it, and to import it on FreeBSD and/or Linux, obviously
> without data loss? And what about re-importing it on NetBSD?
>
> Bye!
>
> Rocky

I tested with SmartOS, FreeBSD, and ZFS on MacOS against ZFS on NetBSD.
NetBSD is missing some of the features of the others, but a zpool
created with NetBSD was able to be imported and exported on the others.
I keep a thumb drive with a pool on it for purposes of transporting
between the OSs.  Going the other way around I found to be a bit harder
and in some cases resulted in requiring the pool to be imported readonly
due to unknown features that NetBSD ZFS didn't know about.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org