Re: NetBSD ZFS compatibility with other OSs

Rocky Hotas <rockyhotas%firemail.cc@localhost> writes:

> Is a ZFS filesystem created inside NetBSD 9.0 compatible with these OSs?
> At least NetBSD, FreeBSD and Linux used code from the OpenZFS project.
>
> In a simple example, assume that I created a pool with NetBSD 9.0. Am I
> able to export it, and to import it on FreeBSD and/or Linux, obviously
> without data loss? And what about re-importing it on NetBSD?

I don't actually know anything, but zfs has a notion of version (I am
unclear on the exact term) to describe how far along in protocol a given
setup (pool, I think) is.  There was a time when NetBSD's zfs was old,
and you had to use an older version when creating on other systems to be
able to mount on NetBSD.

See the FreeBSD section in
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS

and talk of pool version 28 and pool version 5000.

Apparently 5000 is a special codepoint that means feature flags are
used, and is different from >28 numbers defined by Oracle that are
apparently only  available in proprietary ZFS.

Hope this helps you dig further.