Re: iSCSI target

Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

[snip]

>> > You export raw partition device; if you want to have many targets from
>> > one physical disk, you split the disk in any way you can - fdisk,
>> > gpt/dkctl or ZFS zvols and export the raw varieties of those.
>>
>>         I have tried to export /dev/rwd0e to only export a slice (created by
>> disklabel). It doesn't work (and initiator is unable to use target). I
>> haven't tested with a partition created by fdisk.
>
> If you have a good reason not to use zfs and zvols, then I'd suggest
> gpt slices, wich definitely work.
>
> Zvols are best, IMHO, as you can snapshot them and send/receive them
> elsewhere for backup.

Pretty much any character based (raw) storage device is usable for iSCSI
export, this would include raw zvols
(/dev/zvol/rdsk/POOL_NAME/VOL_NAME), /dev/rXXXX and LVM
(/dev/VG_NAME/rLV_NAME).  I have used a couple of these personally with
NetBSD and MS-WINDOWS.

But as mentioned, unless you have a very specific reason, you will
probably want to make sure that the entire device is exported.  That is,
you could export /dev/rsd0e where 'e' is not the entire device, but you
may have more likely meant /dev/rsd0[c|d].

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org