Re: pkgsrc binary packages security with pkgin

On 2020-01-31 12:32, Johnny Billquist wrote:
On 2020-01-31 10:25, yarl-baudig%mailoo.org@localhost wrote:
That's exactly the answer I was waiting and hoping for. Thank you.

I'll follow tech-pkg from now on. Packages must be signed.

And with that signature, you know that what you got from the server was not tampered with during transport to you, which is the same thing https would give you. And which still means you have no idea if the software is sane,
proper, does what you think, or hasn't been tampered with.

No it's not the same thing.
package signature guarantees that the data have not been modified since it
has been built.
https guarantees that the data have not been modified between the http server and client. It doesn't tell anything about what happened to the binary pkg between the build server and the http server at the time you download it.

Right you are. I was too fast and loose on that one.

Signatures are better in that sense. However, you then also have to trust
that the signature have not been altered along with a alteration of the
package... So does a signature really tell you much at all? I guess if you
then had signatures with public/private keys. But then again, that don't
really work if you have multiple places doing builds, unless they then share the private key, but that in turn leads to the question about how private do
you then think that key is?

Why would they have to share the same private key ?
You can trust multiple public keys, this is how other binary package managers
works.

Of course you can. But then you need to have a whole list of trusted public keys that needs to be managed, which again leads to the question of which keys are now the acceptable ones. And how to you trust new builders? Can anyone then be added to the list of official builders of packages, or how to you manage that side?
Key management is not trivial.

And this of course also leads to the question, can you trust all of them to properly maintain security of their systems? Too many accepted keys eventually leads to them not giving any security at all. And as soon as a system is compromised, all the packages built there is potentially compromised. Not to mention that the key should be considered compromised, and needs to be revoked. And all systems needs to no longer accept that key, which then is also a piece of information that needs to be distributed and enforced. And how do you push such information without that also becoming an attack vector, meaning keys could be added/revoked by the wrong people, or just with the wrong data.

Same thing as with anything sensitive. Too many have access and it's most likely compromised somewhere.

Me paranoid? Not really... :-)

  Johnny