Re: disklabel generating wrong fstype

Michael van Elst wrote:
> mlh wrote:
> > Then fast formatted it with a laptop so it has one there now but
> > it still can't mount it.
> >
> > $ mount -v -t msdos /dev/sd0e /mnt
> > exec: mount_msdos /dev/sd0e /mnt
> > mount_msdos: /dev/sd0e on /mnt: Invalid argument
> >
> > This was the original issue with the card. Not sure what the invalid
> > argument still is.

> The data doesn't suddenly become a FAT filesystem when you tag the
> partition as MSDOS. Since the original type (from MBR) was NTFS it
> is probably an NTFS filesystem.
>
> But you can now format sd0e as FAT filesytem with newfs_msdos (deletes
> all data) and then mount it.

Of course Windows pays no attention to the disklabel but can an
NTFS filesystem be formatted as exFAT without changing it being an
NTFS filesystem, as it came from the factory as exFAT and was
formatted several times as exFAT. Apparently so.

I couldn't figure out how to get newfs_msdos to specify exFAT so
didn't think it would work and I couldn't get the mkfs.exfat to
work either:

$ mkfs.exfat /dev/rsd0e
mkexfatfs 1.3.0
Creating... ERROR: failed to erase block 1/1 at 0x3e0000.
$ mkfs.exfat /dev/rsd0
mkexfatfs 1.3.0
Creating... ERROR: failed to erase block 1/1 at 0x3e0000.

newfs_msdos does this:
$ newfs_msdos -F exFAT /dev/rsd0e
/dev/rsd0e: 250022016 sectors in 1953297 FAT32 clusters (65536 bytes/cluster) MBR type: 11

And it shows up as a FAT32 filesystem everywhere even though it
shows to be a 128G. I thought FAT32 couldn't be that large so
suspected it was wrong.