Re: VirtualBox guest support

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 at 04:53, Malcolm Herbert <mjch%mjch.net@localhost> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Dec 2019, at 00:46, Valery Ushakov wrote:
> > This is the semi-periodic reminder that Virtual Box Guest Additions do
> > support NetBSD, the code has been in the public VirtualBox repository
> > for more than 3 years (but vboxfs support *is* indeed missing).
>
> Valery - apologies, I may have missed such a reminder ... in this the lack of vboxsf is a minor nuisance as NFS works just as well in most cases but requires configuration on the host end for support.
>
> > GA have not been packaged though. ...
>
> ... does this mean I might be able to build from source on the host itself?  Many of the other bento VMs do this as a matter of course as part of their build, so this isn't a show-stopper either

Following earlier explanation from uwe@ I have setup a build
environment for the additions. With a few minor patches, it works
every time. My NetBSD guests - mostly -current - now all run under
VirtualBox 6.1 with the corresponding additions.

> > ... The main obstacle is that kernel
> > modules need access to some non-public kernel headers to be built.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this last bit - non-public kernel headers from the NetBSD side or the VirtualBox side?

Basically you need /usr/src and /usr/xsrc on the build host.

Display device can be either VBoxVGA, VBoxSVGA (they appear identical
within the guest) or VMSVGA (which used to have a problem with the
mouse not registering events, but now works just fine). VirtualBox
allows accelerated 3D to be selected only in VBoxVGA mode for NetBSD
systems, even if they say this combination has been removed from the
release; it still works for me.

> Regards,
> Malcolm
>
> --