Re: No HDMI output on Lenovo V145, NetBSD 8.0

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 21:09:02 +0530
Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 09, 2019 at 06:55:19PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> > Now I have another lenovo laptop[1] that boots fine using the same
> > stick but for HDMI not showing any output.
>
> Somehow I took it for granted that it would work on Linux. After
> wasting hours installing debian and trying tweaks it turns out it
> doesn't work on debian either. May be I could try other distros, but
> if it is that much struggle I'd rather stick to NetBSD...
>
> Only glimpse of hdmi working was on an x86-android stick that I had.
> So the port is not totally bad and in theory it should be possible to
> get it work on Linux.

Does your machine have the optional AMD graphics?  That is, are there
two different graphics chipsets in the machine?

Where I'm heading is that if you have two different chipsets only one
may be connected to the external HDMI.  If you're not using that
chipset for your primary display too, then the external HDMI won't
work.  (E.g. System76 laptops can have Intel and NVIDIA, but only
certain external ports are hooked up to each... took a while to figure
out that the HDMI port (and USB-C) on the back only works with NVIDIA,
and the Mini Display Port on the side only works with Intel :( )

Later...

Greg Oster