Re: About using NetBSD as a guest, why, how etc.

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 at 07:24, Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:

> Considering this because I got a new hardware on which a few things don't
> work on NetBSD (1. wifi: can live with using mobile with tethering; 2.
> touchpad: I anyway prefer normal mouse and use that also very less, so ok;
> 3. hdmi: that's a deal breaker as I need laptop to connect to hdmi for my
> normal usage).
>
> To solve all these, could I make NetBSD a guest and what are some good
> options? Is it Linux+VirtualBox, any specific Linux flavor would be good
> to act merely as host by and large retaining NetBSD feel of the system?
>
> Mayuresh

I run a minimal NetBSD installation as a qemu/KVM guest (host is LMDE
3 Cindy). I've enabled the serial console in /boot.cfg and I access
the guest in xterm without the need of ssh. I haven't tested X yet.

This is my command line:

$ qemu-system-x86_64 -drive
file=/home/oc/VM/img/netbsd.image,index=0,media=disk  -m 400M -cpu
host -enable-kvm -smp $(nproc) -net user,hostfwd=tcp::6666-:22 -net
nic -nographic

Then I switch between stdio and monitor using CTRL-A C.

If I want to ssh in, I just:

$ ssh 127.0.0.1 -p 6666

--
Ottavio Caruso