epoll under Linux emulation (or how to get Isabelle running on NetBSD)

Hi list,

Having recently switched jobs, I'm now expected to do my work in Isabelle rather than Coq, so naturally I tried to run it under NetBSD.

Running it natively is basically out of the question - it's got a very customised (the nice way of saying it) build system that I'd need to spend a lot of time to understand, let alone adapt to use NetBSD.

So, next possibility - Linux emulation. Isabelle itself seems to run pretty okay, but it uses JEdit as its GUI, which in turn uses the epoll mechanism (through OpenJDK). As per kern/48584 this is not supported, but it does seem that there is something called libepoll-shim that might make things easier now.

The question is really, is anyone possibly working on adding that to the Linux emulation layer, or how difficult would it be, do people estimate? There's a couple of other solutions I might try (suggestions are welcome!), but this does seem the least painful one, and epoll on the Linux emulation might be something nice to have anyway, I'd imagine (no matter what you might think of epoll in and of itself).

best

  Jaap