Re: Write an install image to a flash drive?

>> On Aug 20, 2019, at 9:47 PM, Bob Bernstein <poobah%ruptured-duck.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 09:31:00PM -0400, Bob Bernstein wrote:
>>
>> I'm wondering: was there any preparation of the flash drive
>> that should have been done before dd'ing the install-image.img
>> onto it? Formatting? Filesystem? MBR?
>
> The above bit of speculation was inspired by this wiki article:
>
> https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_install_netbsd_from_an_usb_memory_stick/
>

> --
> What can be asserted without evidence can be
> dismissed without evidence.
>                            Hitchens' Razor

I just did an install of 8.1 and all I did was dd the img file to a flash drive (I also used amd64). My guess is there’s something wrong with the image or your flash drive. Do you have another flash drive to test with?

Also, is there an easy way to remove the first 2048 sectors from the image so the FFS part could be mounted using a vnd device? Or would this work without making changes?

vnconfig -c /dev/vnd0 install.img
mount /dev/vnd0a /mnt

If the above works it would verify the image is correct.

I’ll test in the AM if no one answers.

Jason M.