Re: Write an install image to a flash drive?

    Date:        Tue, 20 Aug 2019 17:59:56 -0400
    From:        Bob Bernstein <poobah%ruptured-duck.com@localhost>

  | Trying 'mount /dev/sd1' /mnt yielded "bad superblock." (Pretty
  | sure; I am typing these results from memory.)

It is pretending to be a CD (image anyway) so you would need
mount -t cd9660 -r /dev/sd1 /mnt

  | I _can't imagine_ how many stupid things I just did, but could
  | someone please tell me how to get that install image onto the
  | flash drive in a form that will boot?

You cannot.  "That" image is in ISO format, which have a booting
method unique in the universe.  You need an image set up for booting
from a memory stick, which is much more similar to a regular drive
than a CD (ISO format).    Someone else will have to tell you which
is the right image to use, but it isn't that one.

kre