Re: birthtime [was: netbsd : internals : ...?]

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 12:14:59 +0000, Rocky Hotas wrote:
> Consider a configuration file. Assume that it has been created 10 years ago,
> when the company was running Linux. 5 years ago, the company switched to NetBSD.
> You are a new employee and you just discovered that this configuration file has
> odd behaviours.

That is what we have version control for.

Also, the definition of birthtime being the time a file was created
immediately raises the question whether it should be changed when
the file is rewritten in place, but not recreated. If yes, it's
just mtime; if no, it wouldn't help in your very scenario, depending
on the editor used.

- Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."