Re: netbsd : internals : bach book : good to start-off?

On 26/07/2019 16:14, Andrei M. wrote:
чт, 25 июл. 2019 г. в 08:33, Germain Le Chapelain <germain%lanvaux.fr@localhost>:

There is a book litteraly called `NetBSD Internals' in the documentation section of the website:

         http://netbsd.org/docs/internals/en/netbsd-internals.html

Sounds like the best complement to the Bach, since it focuses on the implementation and extending NetBSD.

Far from being complete though:

3.3. Processes and threads creation
3.3.1. fork, clone, and pthread_create usage
XXX write me

3.3.2. Overview of fork code path
XXX write me

3.3.3. Overview of pthread_create code path
XXX write me

3.4. Processes and threads termination
3.4.1. exit, and pthread_exit usage
XXX write me

3.4.2. Overview of exit code path
XXX write me

3.4.3. Overview of pthread_exit code path
XXX write me

3.5. Signal delivery
3.5.1. Deciding what to do with a signal
XXX write me

etc etc

What a wonderful selection of low-hanging fruit. If I could work on more projects then this would certinaly be one.

As for the book by Bach. I've read it and I thought it was excellent. But Tanenbaum's books on operating systems are /really/ where it's at for me ;-)

It's because this is one thing that drove me- or, more so, cemented me-to NetBSD: its perfect website ;) )

Germain, I felt and still feel exactly the same way.

Andrew
--
OpenPGP key: EB28 0338 28B7 19DA DAB0  B193 D21D 996E 883B E5B9