Re: Installing NetBSD/macppc

I haven’t tried the macppc install…but have you checked out the macppc mailing list?

Cheers.

Patrick Pritchard, MBA, PMP
D26 Consulting Ltd.

On 17 Jul 2019, at 20:50, Австин Ким wrote:

Hi,

I am new to NetBSD and was looking for the proper newbie questions mailing list but could not find one, so my apologies for posting a newbie question here.

Recently I acquired an IBM PowerPC 970-based Apple Power Mac G5 (1.8-GHz PCI-X) due to wanting to run a simple *nix-based WWW server for a class project on a non-AMD64/x86-64, 64-bit machine. Based on an Internet search, NetBSD came up as the simple, permissively licensed OS that seems to support the widest variety of architectures. According to “Table 1. NetBSD/macppc Model Support” in “NetBSD/macppc Model Support” at http://www.netbsd.org/ports/macppc/models.html
“Power Macintosh G5 G5(970MP) PPC970 (a.k.a. G5) CPU [is supported by NetBSD since] 5.0” so I jumped into the installation instructions at https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-8.1/macppc/INSTALL.html
burning NetBSD-8.1-macppc.iso to a disc, entering Open Firmware, and attempting to boot with “boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc” per the instructions.

The installation immediately halts with:
“>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.13 (Tue May 14 17:21:59 UTC 2019
6081892
Invalid memory access at %SRR0: 00000000.00e0c4a8 %SRR1: 10000000.00003030”

What am I doing wrong? This is my first initial exposure to NetBSD, and I expected I would have to do more work to install and run NetBSD but did not expect to hit a wall right at the first step of the installation process.

Thanks,
Austin

“If you want to change the future, start living as if you’re already there.” —Lynn Conway