Re: "Virtual" RAID1

I have been designing a system that does something a lot like this, to function as a multimedia asset management system.

I would love to compare notes with you if you like.

Do you want this to work on the block level? It sounds like you do.

Things like this do exist, but you have to be very specific about what you are trying to get out of it? From your description it sounds like you simply want to do replication between two nodes. But then I thought about it more and realized that, in this case, you could simply set your file service as "active" and the remote one as "redundant".

Or are you trying to implement a cache for your working files that are a subset of the complete file service that has too much data to store locally?

I am trying to minimize noise in the local sub-NAS of the complete file server. The sub-NAS will have SSD's and the remote upstream NAS will have many arrays of high-capacity spinning HDD's.

In your case there are companies that, I think, do what you need, such as Dell/EMC. But they are expensive and proprietary.

Can you please specify in detail what you want to do? I would like to see if there is any common overlap. If you like, we could share our findings.

Andrew