Re: WiFi card comes up as device lo0

>>> Does this mean this card is not supported or does it mean it
>>> just needs to be configured? This card uses the RTL8185L chip
>>> but not sure what the brand/manufacturer is. Looking over the
>>> manual pages it looks like the closest driver for this card
>>> would be rtw.
>>
>> It means that it was not attached.  There could be lots of
>> reasons.  Look at the output of 'dmesg' for unconfigured
>> devices.  Use usbdevs and pcictl (read the man pages first) to
>> see what hardware exists.  Sometimes a driver needs to have an
>> additional id added to the list of what it matches and claims.
>
> Could you elaborate on what you mean by "not attached"? Sorry
> for the noob question but I'm trying to learn the OS and I'm
> not familiar with all of the jargon yet.
>
> Thanks for your response.

Looking at the source for if_rtw_pci.c in /usr/src/sys/dev/pci/
it looks like the RTL8185 recognision is under an #if 0 clause:

#ifdef RTW_DEBUG
#if 0   /* These came from openbsd, netbsd doesn't have the definitions. */
        { PCI_VENDOR_REALTEK,           PCI_PRODUCT_REALTEK_RT8185,
          "Realtek RTL8185 802.11 MAC/BBP" },
        { PCI_VENDOR_BELKIN2,           PCI_PRODUCT_BELKIN2_F5D7010,
          "Belkin F5D7010" },
#endif
#endif

inside the definition of rtw_pci_products[], the list of PCI IDs
which are recognized by the driver.

So ... get the PCI IDs of the unrecognized device with pcictl,
and we can possibly get a bit closer to making it work.

Regards,

- Håvard