Re: Rock-solid USB ethernet adapters?

Mark Carroll <mtbc%ixod.org@localhost> writes:

> Still trying out NetBSD 8.0 on an old Intel Broadwell NUC. I've been
> running into odd issues with USB ethernet adapters that run for a while
> then stop until reboot. For example, one reporting as,
>
> aue0: corega K.K. (0x7aa) corega FEther USB-TXS (0x0d), rev 1.10/1.01, addr 3
>
> acphy0 at aue0 phy 1: ACXXX 10/100 media interface, rev. 0
>
> would soon start reporting,
>
> aue0: watchdog timeout
> aue0: usb error on tx: TIMEOUT
>
> and not work thereafter. Much less frequently I'm also seeing the same
> issue with an RTL8153 adapter reporting as,
>
> cdce0: Realtek (0xbda) USB 10/100/1000 LAN (0x8153), rev 2.10/30.00, addr 3
>
> cdce0: watchdog timeout
> cdce0: usb error on tx: TIMEOUT

[snip]

I have had very good luck with anything that uses axe(4).  There appear
to be tons of those out there, basically anything that claims to support
MacOS has been ok.  The latest ones I am using are from Adafruit and
have a small hub in them as well as the copper port which is perfect for
RPI0 boards.  I have used a real Mac branded dongle, as well as a number
of clones.  Most will be 100Mbit, but a few will talk 1Gbit on the phy.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org