Re: Serialization of binary floating point numbers

On Fri, 17 May 2019 21:06:14 +0200
Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> wrote:

> On Fri 17 May 2019 at 17:37:45 +0100, Sad Clouds wrote:
> > 1. Make sure software always built to use IEEE 754 format.
>
> For VAX, you would need to do some work there, since it natively uses
> a different floating point format. It is the canonical example for
> that, these days :-) I'm not up to date on whether there are math
> libraries available that do ise IEEE soft-float.

OK thanks for the info, I found some useful links on VAX:

https://www.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/vms/ieee2vax.c
http://home.fnal.gov/~yang/Notes/ieee_vs_dec_float.txt

However I don't think I'm going to bother supporting it, architectures
like VAX are probably confined to museums and hobbyist's sheds. From
what I can see most of the modern hardware use 2's complement
integer arithmetic and IEEE 754 floating point, but not sure if there
are any specific exceptions I'm not aware of.