Re: Web + email hosting recommendations

Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Tue, 07 May 2019 21:20:57 +0000
> Christopher Pinon <cjpinon%secondfloor.xyz@localhost> wrote:
>
> > For a small, reliable UK-based provider (who offer both web hosting
> > and VPSes), I can recommend https://inceptionhosting.com/ . I
> > currently run a small NetBSD VPS with them.
> >
> > C.
>
> Hi, thanks for the link. This is one of their low-end VPS offerings:
>
> UK-SSD-KVM-1024
> 2 CPU Core (Equal Share)
> 1024 MB Ram
> 10 GB Pure NVMe SSD Disk space
> 1000 GB Bandwidth @ 1 gbit (shared)
> 1 x IPv4 address
> 1 x /64 IPv6
> Full daily backup
>
> Price is 2.50EUR per month and no setup fees, which sounds rather cheap.
> Last time I looked into web hosting was about 15 years ago, so maybe
> prices have come down this much. For such a small price, do they really
> offer a reasonable service, or is there something I'm not aware of?

The plan above is exactly the plan that I currently have. :-)

A lot has changed in the hosting/VPS market over the past 15 years. For
one, 15 years ago, there were no VPS providers offering KVM. But even
web hosting has become much more affordable. Nowadays, a typical web
hosting service includes a cPanel interface to your web space with
Softaculous for installing web applications (WordPress, etc.). The
underlying OS is CentOS or RHEL.

Back to Inception Hosting: No, no hidden surprises, I think. Perhaps
just to clarify that the full daily backups are made by the provider for
an unforeseen event on their side -- users don't have access to these
backups, which means that you should also keep a backup of any files
important to you.

Inception Hosting use SolusVM as their control panel, which allows the
user to perform all the basic functions with their VPS (reboots,
reinstalls, etc.) without asking the provider to intervene. One thing
that SolusVM doesn't allow the user to do is to upload ISOs. Inception
Hosting already offer quite a few ISOs (including NetBSD-8.0 i386,
because I requested it :-) ), but if there's an ISO that you would like
that isn't offered (e.g., NetBSD-8.0 amd64), just make a request via a
ticket and they will upload it (assuming that the request is reasonable:
the ISO should be publicly available.)

(To clarify: I'm just a satisfied customer of Inception Hosting and am
recommending them based on my current and past experience, especially
because you mentioned a preference for the UK. I don't work for them!)

C.