Re: mutt and gpg2

At Tue, 7 May 2019 02:01:51 -0400, Bob Bernstein <bob%fanatick.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: mutt and gpg2

> If built from pkgsrc mutt requires gnupg2. The supplied
> executable then is 'gpg2'.
>
> On the other hand, among the documents that ship with
> this mutt is the highly useful 'gpg.rc', which is
> easily included into one's .muttrc.
>
> Problem: The latter is writeen in terms of 'gpg', not
> 'gpg2'.

I don't use mutt so I'm not sure of the reason for the discrepancy, but
I suspect this is just a sign of age of when the example .muttrc file
was last updated.  It doesn't seem common for pkgsrc to make such
patches in example files (though perhaps it should be done more
carefully in more cases).

My understanding is that the gpg->gpg2 API differences more or less
mandated a change of name in the program and that "gpg2" is indeed the
official name of the GnuPG-2.x program.  If mutt works with that version
under the "gpg2" name then the best thing is probably to explicitly list
it as such in your .muttrc file.

However as for the "official" pkgsrc method for aliasing such commands,
there's pkg_alternatives(8).  I haven't used it much myself, except for
when it is automatically used by some packages.  It's been a part of
pkgsrc since 2005, so seems stable and widely accepted.  On my current
system I see it is being used for Go and Python.

+1 250 762-7675                           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>