Fwd: Re: mutt wants sasl

I hit the false button.

--- Forwarded from Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen%sdaoden.eu@localhost> ---
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 02:11:08 +0100
From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen%sdaoden.eu@localhost>
To: Jeff_W <jgw%sdf.org@localhost>
Subject: Re: mutt wants sasl

Jeff_W wrote in <5c7da7cf.88gAaJgh4cWfk60K%jgw%sdf.org@localhost>:
 |Bob Bernstein <poobah%ruptured-duck.com@localhost> wrote:
 |> ..
 |> No authenticators
 |> mutt needs sasl
 |>
 |> Well, I'm stumped. I don't know anything about sasl. I
 |> have the following packages installed:
 |> ..
 |
 |Can't help with mutt but thought I'd point out that you can use
 |the native postfix to do the interacting with your provider's
 |SMTP server:
 |
 |Postfix MTA on NetBSD 6.x:
 |https://sdf.org/?tutorials/smtpauth#postfix-netbsd6
 |
 |It uses a native sasl library so perhaps you can figure out how
 |to build nutt against that instead of using postfix.

Funnily last week i read -- i was peeking around because i haven't
heard anything of msmtp for a long time, to find out ML is no
longer used, and i think he it was who wrote it -- that today with
that crypto everywhere plain authentication is good enough, and
therefore sasl is not really needed no more.

(I for one have no idea, i never had to connect to a Microsoft
server for example (is that .. "ntlm"), i have never used anything
else but X/TLS and thus plain.  Except for testing purposes
against a self-setup (sic) dovecot instance.)

--steffen

|(By Robert Gernhardt)

 -- End forward <20190305011108.RqqE1%steffen%sdaoden.eu@localhost>

--steffen