Re: Portable Makefile ideas

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 19:47:02 +0100
Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> My hot take on this: Don't roll your own build system.
>
> No matter how easy and portable you think you made it, it is not going
> to be working for part of your users (think Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc.,
> with a number of architectures each), and it is not going to be
> trivial to understand for packagers. Package maintainers are familiar
> with the most important standard build systems.
>
> Perhaps take a look at CMake. I found it to be easier than expected,
> and it is common enough that package systems like pkgsrc support it
> directly.

I've had a quick look at various howtos, and I will look in more detail
in a few days. However can you elaborate on how CMake handles different
build environments. For example, does it automatically know different
compilers and can correctly generate the right set of compiler options
for building executables and shared libraries, etc? In other words, can
it be used as a substitute for tools like Libtool?