Re: ZFS development questions

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 at 13:16, Gua Chung Lim <gua.chunglim%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> * ng0%n0.is@localhost (ng0%n0.is@localhost) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > since FreeBSD recently announced to move to using ZFSonLinux as their upstream source
> > for ZFS (https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2018-December/072422.html),
> > what has been the development of ZFS in NetBSD so far? Did you use the same sources?
> > Regardless of the answer, is using ZFSoLinux a consideration for future development?
> ZFS is not BSD.
> It is CDDL. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Development_and_Distribution_License
> FreeBSD doesn't care much about the license.
> But we do, I think.

Nothing to do with the licence. ZFS is CDDL under every system. NetBSD
already has ZFS. I've used it in the past with mixed success; it used
to fail for me under higher load, the last few tries were OK, though.

The thread is about switching to ZoL as upstream, as opposed to
Illumos - mainly due to the apparently heavy process there - I'd guess
inherited, at least partially, from Sun, as well as the statement that
a great deal of ZFS innovation now comes from ZoL, perhaps because it
has the widest commercial support base. The discussion is if this move
might bring unwanted linuxisms to FreeBSD by the back door - the
proposed solution being splitting ZFS code in MI/MD parts. We'll see.

--
----