Re: Confusion on GPT wedges

On Jan 9, 10:21pm, Michael van Elst wrote:
} rnestor%mac.com@localhost (Robert Nestor) writes:
}
} >So a bit further digging and I discover that one can replace
} >the actual wedge name with the unique UUID (actually the wedge
} >GUID value).  That works on a system that has already been
} >booted, but fails during boot.  Apparently the utilities used
} >during boot havent been modified to use either wedge by name or
} >wedge by UUID.  Is this a bug or oversight in wedge processing
} >by the components used for booting?
}
} A wedge only has a single name. Wedges are automatically configured from
} a GPT, a wedge names is taken from the partition label or if that
} isn't that or already exists, from the partition GUID. If the GUID
} also conflicts, the wedge isn't configured.

     Personally, I would consider this to be a serious flaw.  For
entities that have a GUID/UUID it should always be possible to
refer to them that way.  However, I see that struct dkwedge_info
doesn't have a seperate field for that.  Perhaps this is something
that should be considered.

}-- End of excerpt from Michael van Elst