wscons.conf ledstate and screen issues

Hello!
After installing 8.0 amd64 and tweaking wscons.conf, I experienced exactly
the same issue as in this old message:

https://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2012/09/24/msg011493.html

I would like to have num lock (and its led) active at the login screen.

# wsconsctl -w ledstate=2

works for the current session. I put the line

setvar  wskbd   ledstate        2

in /etc/wscons.conf. After a reboot, this configuration is correctly
applied, as shown by the led and the screen messages; however, the *first*
key that is pressed (whatever it is) causes the default ledstate=0 to be
restored.
What could it be the problem?

Second issue is about the creation of new screens. I modified from default
the wscons.conf file as follows:

#screen 0	-	vt100
screen 1	-	vt100
screen 2	-	vt100
screen 3	-	vt100
screen 4	-	vt100
screen 5	-	vt100
screen 6	-	vt100
screen 7	-	vt100
screen 8	-	-

in order to have not only 4, but 8 available screens at boot, which can be
accessed through Ctrl+Alt+Fn. However, this generated a

wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN

error. It was impossible to create them.
Is it normal? Did I make a wrong configuration?
Thank you anyway!
Bye :)

Rocky