Re: nfs error diskless

kab00m%lich.phys.spbu.ru@localhost (Dima Veselov) writes:

>I am using diskless NetBSD often (real or VMs) and sometimes I
>get nfs error 65 for <root>.

65 is probably EHOSTUNREACH.

>It seems that NetBSD won't work when NFS server is reachable
>via router and work when it is reachable directly (in the
>same network).

To reach that NFS server you need a route to it, usually a
default route.

>VM1 works perfectly, but VM2 stops at "Starting network" point.

>Tcpdump says kernel mount root and happily reading
>/sbin/init, /dev and lot of other files, but when console
>says "Starting network" all communications are stopped.

The kernel got its default route from DHCP. My guess is
that something doing 'starting network' removes that route
and immediately cuts of access to the NFS mounted root
filesystem.

Can you elaborate on the network configuration of VM2 ?

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost