Re: Trimming a diskless distribution

On 10/7/2018 2:07 PM, Brett Lymn wrote:
On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 12:16:39PM -0700, Don NetBSD wrote:

Of course, late bindings are a potential SNAFU in this approach -- unless
I inherently know how to precipitate those events!

Why not use the automated test framework to run everything you want to
run?  That should catch any errors for you.

I don't think so.  E.g., anything that relies on (or supports) remote
clients/services would require some explicit action at a remote node to
exercise those services.

E.g., Will ftpd(8) get "tested" if it is invoked via inetd.conf(5)?
(Ditto everything else therein).

I've been "manually" invoking everything that I want/need to run and
capturing any errors logged to sort out what might be missing.  The
errors alone don't tell you *what* you need to add -- they just tell you
that something is apparently "missing" or "not working properly".  It
then boils down to either having a familiarity with how each piece of
code works *or* digging through the sources to see what MIGHT be the
problem.