Re: NetBSD block vs raw disk I/O

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 04:02:44PM +0100, Sad Clouds wrote:
> Hi, so you're saying that with ucb_direct read/write on mounted file
> system should also speed things up compared to NetBSD-8? I see terrible
> I/O performance with NetBSD running as a VM on a VirtualBox, just
> reading/writing regular files is quite slow compared to Linux VMs on
> the same hardware. I've never been able to figure out the reasons for
> it, maybe Linux has better integration with VirtualBox and better
> optimisations.

We had a similar discussion on some list a while back and I did some
timings. My values were close to the ones others cited for Linux and
others said their NetBSD timings were a lot worse than mine.

I use SATA and NVMe emulations in virtual box, and mount all filesystems
on the emulated SATA drives with "log".

Don't think I had to tweak anything special on the host or in virtual
box.

Martin