Re: NetBSD 8 on Old ThinkPad - strange mouse issues

Hi David!

On 02/08/2018 16:16, David Brownlee wrote:
On 30 July 2018 at 18:53, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> wrote:
2) with a little more heavy usage (I was removign packages, updating trees,
etc) the tlp0 interface started complaining about timeouts. Only a reboot
recovers!
tlp0: transmit timeout
tlp0: filter setup and transmit timeout

I now really wish I'd kept my old ThinkPad 560 :)

I think they are of similar vintage, but mine is a little larger and has a different video card. Checking ThinkWiki yours has a broken Trident driver, I have a NeoMagic driver which work(ed). You should have kept it for the fun! and doesn't it have a nice keyboard feeling? Sometimes I still love to code on it... open gvim or emacs and go! of course... compiling takes some time :)

That is pretty wacky...

Can you edit your xorg.conf (or create one) and under the Section "Device" add:

Option "HWCursor" "off"

to see if that helps?

I actually put it in the screen section, like this:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    Option         "SWCursor" "on"
    Option         "HWCursor" "off"
EndSection

Nothing else, I had no xorg.conf

and yes! I have a mouse now. Does this mean HW support for the cursor broke in a strange way?

As a data point you could also try extracting a copy of netbsd-6 with
X11 into a subdir, then chroot into it and try starting X from there.
If it still has the mouse display issue then its a kernel issue,
otherwise X11...

Do I still need to do that or is the xorg.conf check enough? My hard disk is small :-P This is also why I upgraded in-place. I suppose that we know it is an X11 isse, or does HW cursor go through the kernel?

Do you have a netbsd-6 dmesg to compare where the various devices
attach to see if there are any differences for tlp or the cardbus?

Unluckily, no, I did not save one and I don't have the old kernel. Perhaps I can dig up the old email where I got the suggestion and/or my old 6.x series conf file. One thing at a time :)

Riccardo