Re: Options to use winxp and netbsd together with xen

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 08:03:04AM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:

> Cons 2: Converting the VirtualBox vdi disk to "raw" and using it as DomU
> disk hasn't worked. It just leads to "blue screen of death". (A fresh
> installation of WinXP works, but my constraint is to carry the node locked
> software as explained above.)

This *may* be just a simple case of the disk geometry not matching.  The
XP boot loader process is very tightly tied to the cylinder/track/head
numbers and it will BSOD if they are perceived to have changed.  Try
checking the disk geometry under virtualbox and seeing if there is a way
of exactly replicating that geometry in the DomU (sorry, I am not a xen
expert so I cannot give guidance on how this can be done...)

A raw disk image should just work, there is nothing special about the
file.  I recently did a recovery on an unbootable domU by mapping the
root disk image as a device on Dom0 and doing the lvm incantations to
get it under lvm control - I was then able to mount the domu file system
on dom0 and repair it.

--
Brett Lymn
Let go, or be dragged - Zen proverb.