Re: booting from gpt/raid?

mlh%goathill.org@localhost (MLH) writes:

> I'm looking at exactly how to set up a couple of 4G disks in a
> bootable gpt/raid1 (raidframe, BIOS boot) configuration. I have a
> temporary 80G boot drive I'm currently working from. It is currently
> running NetBSD 8.99.17
>
> I am attempting to follw the instrucitons in GPT(8),
> https://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-rf.html#chap-rf-intro
> https://wiki.netbsd.org/users/mlelstv/using-large-disks/#index6h1
>
> Things are generally going well but before I actually install a
> system, one question I have is how to make the configuration
> bootable.
>
> - GPT(8) says to make a bootable partition using gpt but doesn't
>   mention doing that with raid
>
> - NetBSD Raid guide says to install the bootloader onto one
>   (preferably both) of the raid units but isn't using gpt on large
>   disks.

I am not really sure, but some advice:

Generally, the way booting on raid works is that (with a little bit of
fuzz because I amy be off on details)

  it is limited to RAID-1, where therefore each disk is a copy (if you
  only read)

  the MBR or first-stage boot is in the normal place for the disk

  the 2nd-stage boot, blocks 2-15, are in the partition that is labeled
  bootable

  the bootable partition is of type RAID, and on those, the first 64
  sectors are the raid header (except for 0/mbr, 1/disklabel, and
  2-15/bootxx, so really latter 48 of first 64).  Then, the fs that
  exists within the RAID-1 starts.

  the 2nd-stage boot code is able to figure out that the boot parttion
  is of type raid, not ffs, and then does addr += 64 and tries again.  I
  am unclear on if it recognizes the raid header, fails to recognize ffs
  and tries blindly, or looks at the type.

therefore, I would expect

   two disks, each gpt

   gpt disk-level boot setup normally

   with a gpt partition of type raid

   in those, bootblocks at front

   and included ffs, via raid-1 init

   set up to boot the raid parittion as if it were ffs

   hope for the best and debug

to be a reasonable strategy.