Re: umount after bad blocks...

Thanks Patrick, I didn't notice your reply before...

I expect I would have tried that, but it wasn't in my email so maybe not.
Next time I use usb media, I plan to try fuse, which I may have better luck with.

Thanks again,
-George

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 6:48 AM, Patrick Welche <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost> wrote:
On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 10:36:20PM -0700, George Georgalis wrote:
> Is there a graceful way to abort and umount the broken device? Don't care
> about the data, have tried SIGKILL the processes etc  but at this point it
> looks like I have to powercycle to release the umass device.

Does umount -f help?

     -f      The file system is forcibly unmounted.  Active special devices
             continue to work, but all other files return errors if further
             accesses are attempted.  The root file system cannot be forcibly
             unmounted.

Cheers,

Patrick

--