Re: samba and Windows 10

On 5/17/2018 12:14, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:
The Windows 10 box I use alongside a clutch of NetBSD boxes is
suddenly refusing to map my samba shares as disks, and refusing
smbclient connections, saying they are SMBv1 which is insecure.   This
happened without any warning, and has left me scratching around with
ftp to do necessary transfers.   I normally have a couple of share
permanently mounted, and my guess is, reading what information I can
find, that somehow I have made no active use over the past couple of
weeks, so Windows has silently disabled the relevant module.

So is the standard samba distribution (NetBSD 7.0.1) insecure?
Remedies?
What version of samba? NetBSD doesn't come with any standard samba distribution, but both samba 3.x and 4.x are available from pkgsrc.

My understanding is that samba didn't get full support for SMBv2 and later until version 4.0, although there was some support for it in samba 3.6. Not sure if the support in 3.6 is good enough for Windows 10 though. (The SMBv1 protocol is insecure; I know MS has been encouraging people to disable support for it for a while now. Perhaps they've forced it off in a recent Windows 10 update.)

I'm a bit confused by your mention of "refusing smbclient connections" though; by "smbclient", do you mean the commandline utility that comes with samba that lets you connect to SMB shares? If so, your Windows 10 box is the one with the shares, and you want to connect to them from NetBSD?

INet: khym%azeotrope.org@localhost |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Telegram: @dahanc        |  dolphin and dog / koala bear and hog -- TMBG
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 42 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++