Re: edgerouter lite

On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 06:51:42AM -0500, edgar%pettijohn-web.com@localhost wrote:
> Appreciate your response. I feel confident I can install. More curious about what isn't supported yet. Such as multiple processors, altq, and the like.

yeah, SMP is what isn't working. I don't know what makes it eventually
panic, though it does make it to multiuser in -current.
Modules also won't work, you will need everything as a builtin.

MIPS has* fixed size instructions, so 64bit instructions are very big,
and so it runs a 32bit userland that only runs on 64bit CPUs, kinda like
the amd64 x32 ABI.

Most architectures don't have as good a reason to do it, so MIPS is the
'official 32bit compat tester'. Most bugs of missing features were
actually missing 32bit compat. I suspect we forgot to backport some
things.

I have an ERLITE, but I don't use it as a router, so I can't tell you
how well it does. MIPS is just my favourite architecture.
Other netbsd people do use it as a router though.

* They now made a variant which isn't like this